Study & Work in LondonLondon South Bank University
Study & Work in London – London South Bank University
London Semester Abroad Programme is run and certified by London South Bank University for students aged 18+ who are currently studying at undergraduate level and wish to study and intern in the UK’s capital for a semester or over the summer. The programme provides students with an opportunity to gain practical work experience in a small or medium-sized company while earning academic credit…not to mention all the new life skills, professional development and international experience in one of the most iconic cities in the world!
- 2 days of study + 3 days internship per week
- 12 weeks of study at LSBU (choose 2 from over 300 courses)
- 12 or 16 weeks of unpaid professional internship in a local SME (20 hours per week)
- full LSBU student status with access to all university facilities
- optional student housing in zones 1-2 for duration of the programme
- transcript for course and internship for academic credit purposes (issued by LSBU)
- minimum age 18
- B2 / IELTS 6.0 or higher for non-native English speakers
- High-school/university transcripts (must be equivalent to minimum GPA 2.75)
- evidence of study or practical experience in the relevant area of business
- applications should be submitted at least 12 weeks prior to the programme start date
- Skype interview with Internship Manager
- UK Tier 4 visa (CAS issued by LSBU) for non-EU passport holders
Successful applicants will begin with an arrival orientation which covers all aspects of living, studying and working in London.
Participants who don’t have their own accommodation can choose from a range of options in central London (see some examples below).
On 2 days a week, they will walk or travel to London South Bank University campus in the heart of London where they will study 2 courses chosen in advance from over 300 options.
The LSBU courses are in the following subject areas: Accounting & Finance / Applied Sciences / Arts & Media / Built Environment / Business / Computing & Informatics / Culture, Writing & Performance / Engineering & Design / Law / Marketing & Management / Psychology / Social Sciences / Tourism, Hospitality & Leisure / Urban Engineering / Urban & Environment Studies.
On the remaining 3 days a week, participants will commute to their host-company where they will work for approximately 5 hours per day.
The internships are with small and medium-sized businesses in London, working in the following sectors: Business / Travel & Tourism / Law / Fine Arts & Arts Management / Fashion / Government & Politics / Health-related Organisations / Information Technology / Media & Communications / Sports Management / Theatre.
Each course, the internship seminar and the internship itself is worth 3 credits making a total of 12 available.
Programme Dates & Fees 2020
- Spring Semester: 19-Jan to 16-May = £5900 (16 weeks incl. orientation and 3 week Easter study break)
- Fall Semester: 13-Sep to 12-Dec = £5900 (12 weeks incl. orientation)
- Administration fee / Arrival orientation in London
- Internship placement for 12 or 16 weeks (3 days/20 hours per week) and supervision
- 2 semester courses at LSBU (2 days per week)
- Internship seminar at LSBU (2 hours per week)
Accommodation Options (single room):
- Host-family Zone 2 = £260 per week (half-board; shared bathroom)
- Student House Zone 1 = £320 per week (self-catering; shared bathroom)
- Student Residence Zone 1 = £350 per week (self-catering; private bathroom)
Note: other housing options are available on request